University of Otago Admission 2023
For applicants wishing to enrol in the fall of 2023, most applications will be available on August 1.
Achieved University Entrance but University admission status unchanged
If you have achieved University Entrance but don’t hear from the University within 24 hours there may be some parts of your application you need to complete first.
Log in to your eVision portal and check if you have any outstanding alerts, such as a request to provide identity documentation:
If you are unsure please contact AskOtago.
What is the deadline for fall 2023 in Canada?
Deadline for September (fall) Intake 2023 Intake in Canada:
For applicants wishing to enrol in the fall of 2023, most applications will be available on August 1. Deadlines for colleges often come between November and February. Early application means submitting it earlier, typically by November.
Applying for Special Admission
Special Admission is a means of entrance to the University of Otago for domestic students over 20 years of age who do not hold a New Zealand University Entrance qualification. You may be eligible for Special Admission if you:
- Are aged at least 20 years on the first day of the semester in which you wish to begin study
- Are a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand residence class visa holder, or
- Are an Australian citizen or permanent resident studying in New Zealand
- Do not otherwise qualify for admission
- Meet language requirements (if your first language is not English or Māori)
How to apply to University of Otago for international students?
For information about applying for online study, visit Prepare for Otago.
- Step 1 – Select your course or programme.
- Step 2 – Check entry requirements and deadlines.
- Step 3 – Apply online.
- Step 4 – Submit your application.
- Step 5 – Accept your Offer of Place.
Applying for admission as an international postgraduate student
The International Postgraduate information page has specific information about the criteria that will apply to you. You need to provide either originals or certified copies of all relevant academic records (in English):
International entrance requirements—Postgraduate requirements
You may also need to arrange a credentials evaluation through ECE:
Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
Postgraduate students at Otago
When should I start applying for fall 2023?
Most applications will open August 1 for students applying for fall 2023 enrollment. College deadlines most often fall between November and February. Early admission means submitting your application sooner, usually by November. Applying regular decision gives you more time to work on application essays and take exams.
Competitive Entry is an Entry Pathway for the admission of students applying for general bachelors’ degrees and other undergraduate courses. If you are a new or recommencing student applying to a general degree programme who cannot immediately be placed on the Preferential Entry pathway, you will be placed on the Competitive Entry pathway.
In many cases, placement on the Competitive Entry pathway will be temporary, and you will be switched to the Preferential Entry pathway when we receive further information (e.g. NCEA results, notification from the Accommodation Centre that you have accepted a place in a residential college, etc.). It is expected that the majority of students will ultimately meet the criteria for Preferential Entry.
If you have undertaken previous tertiary study, you will normally be considered on the basis of your tertiary GPA or previous study you have undertaken rather than your secondary school results, and this outweighs other considerations, such as accepting a place in a residential college.
When can I apply to uni for 2023?
2023 entry applications opened on 17 May 2022, and applicants have been able to submit them to UCAS from 6 September 2022.
Academic requirements for PhD admission
Typically, you need a Bachelor’s degree with first or upper second-class honours, or a Master’s degree with a substantial dissertation or thesis component, to be admitted to the PhD programme.
See the PhD programme regulations for more detail.
Equivalent qualifications and/or work experience will be considered, however it is essential that you have some research experience, whether this is:
- A substantial thesis or dissertation as part of your study, or
- Equivalent professional research experience, or
- Peer-reviewed academic publications
Is it hard to get into the University of Otago?
More than 3000 international students study at the University of Otago. With an acceptance rate of around 58% for international students, it is quite difficult for the students to get admission in this university.
Commencing PhD after Honours or Master’s degrees
You can apply for your PhD while still completing an Honours or Master’s degree and you may be conditionally approved, however you won’t be able to start until you have provided Student Administration with evidence of your result.
English language requirements for admission
All students must be competent in the use and understanding of written and spoken English before being admitted to courses at the University of Otago.
If your first language is not English or Māori and you have gained your entrance qualification overseas, you will need to supply official evidence of English-language competency.
Information for domestic students on the English language requirements for admission is available on the Entrance requirements pages:
Minimum language requirements for undergraduate students
Minimum language requriements for postgraduate students
Information for international students on the English language requirements for admission is available on the Future students website:
International undergraduate English language requirements
International postgraduate English language requirements
Application for undergraduate study declined
If you do not meet undergraduate admission criteria, you can apply to enrol in the University of Otago Pathway programme. But the programme offers pre-university study and is approve to meet admission requirements for all New Zealand universities.
You can also contact a Schools’ Liaison Officer to discuss your options:
Applying for admission using an international agent
If you’re a new international student you may be able to apply to Otago with the assistance of one of our authorised representatives:
Admission requirements for Australian secondary school students
To be eligible for admission to the University of Otago, you must achieve either ATAR of 74 or above or OP of 12 or below.
To be offere a place at Otago you must also meet entry requirements for your chosen programme.
Admission from an Australian Secondary School
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the application deadline for University of Otago 2023 admission?
- The deadline for the 2023 admission to the University of Otago is yet to be announced.
- How do I apply for admission to the University of Otago?
- You can apply for admission to the University of Otago through their online admission portal.
- Is SAT or ACT required for admission to the University of Otago?
- The University of Otago does not require SAT or ACT scores for admission. However, some programs may have additional admission requirement.
- Can international students apply for admission to the University of Otago?
- Yes, international students can apply for admission to the University of Otago.
- What are the admission requirements for undergraduate programs at the University of Otago?
- The admission requirements for undergraduate programs at the University of Otago vary based on the program. However, a high school diploma or equivalent and good grades are usually require.